Monday, November 3, 2008

Two Days After Halloween

































And the
evidence is everywhere to be found. There are candy wrappers beneath the furniture, shrunken pumpkin heads waiting to be picked up by the garbage truck, and one Halloween costume with holes in the armpits, which has been worn almost constantly for three days. Time for the next holiday!
It worked out well for everyone, though. The kids made some money selling candy to their dad, and some unfortunate grad students at CU got stomachaches from gorging themselves on it.
Carving pumpkins is a feast for the five senses, I've decided. First, there's that sucking sound when you pull the top off the pumpkin and you first see all the pumpkin guts and seeds. Then you smell that pumpkin smell that only comes around once a year. But when you smell it you remember being a kid and watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" And then you feel the pumpkin guts and pull out the slippery seeds to put on a cookie sheet to roast. And of course there's the ceremonial lighting of the pumpkin to make sure it looks okay with the candle in it, so you see the flame and smell the smoke. Why do we do this only once a year?

9 comments:

Brits said...

Welcome to blogging! YAY!

I won't even make fun of you...yet.

kate n. said...

Darn! Brit beat me to commenting on your blog first!
I love it: "mys-terry." very cute.

Becky said...

I can't guarantee what your brother's reaction will be, but I promise deep down, his spicey comments come from the hole in his heart from missing seeing your kids grow up(up close). I think that might be resolved before too long, but until then...poor Jonny.

Wendell and Deanna Tolman said...

I love your blog!! I love you!! I love Becca and Spencer and Eva and Ben!! More pictures!! More stories!! Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!!

Blogs are the greatest idea since sliced bread, and my children and grandchildren are the cleverest in the world -- so there. (Deanna)

Linda Terry said...

diddo diddo didoo mys-terry. post EVERY day!
love, nanee, mom, linda

larene said...

love your kids costumes! I could figure out Eva, but what are the other 2?
Benj buys the kids candy?? whatever for?

Ginger said...

HORRAYYYYYY!!!!

love to the coloradians!

Mindi said...

I love your writing!! I will be a regular on this blog, so keep the cute pics and beautiful descriptions coming!

Kara B said...

I'm so happy you are blogging now! It will be fun to keep up with you this way! I am looking forward to your writing too!