Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Too Cold for School?

A precedent has been set. I've lived in Colorado for many years, and I don't recall ever hearing that school was cancelled because the weather was "too cold." Until now. Schools all over the Denver metro area are closed today, not because there's too much snow (we have maybe an inch and a half on the ground) but because it's too cold. Last time I checked, it was -4. While I agree that -4 is cold, I think any temperature differences below 20 degrees are academic. Can you really feel the difference if your ears are already numb?

School's not the only event that's cancelled today. Cub Scouts is cancelled. Young Women in Excellence is cancelled. But I will bet money that ballet will not be cancelled. I can hear it now. "Girls, if you're cold, put on more legwarmers and jump higher!"

I drove Ben to the bus stop this morning because he left his bike at school. There weren't many cars out. I think the cars were on strike. When I revved up the car in our carport, it made this horrible whining sound. If I understood car language, I bet I would have heard, "Aw, c'mon. Seriously? None of the other cars hafta go out. Geez."

On the way to the bus stop I got to see those awesome sidewalk plows. Spencer and I are big fans of the sidewalk plows. They look so cool zipping along where the cars aren't allowed to travel. In fact, I think I'll write a letter to Epcot and suggest that they build a sidewalk snowplow ride. It would be a hit.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

send those Denver kids to Rexburg! That'll teach em!