Friday, April 29, 2011

Candy Friday

 Stop the press! Penelope the hermit crab has moved into a new shell! It looks a little big for her, but she looks ravishing in this little green and brown number.
 To ease end-of-year burnout, we're taking one field trip a week now. Today we visited the Hammonds candy factory in Denver. I imagine that their tour traffic has increased since the Jolly Rancher factory closed down.
 The cool thing about this factory is that all of their equipment is really old, which makes their candy look very old-fashioned. Their fudge table was built in 1919, and they still use it for all their fudge. All of their other equipment is from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. They say it breaks down less often than the modern machinery. That's depressing, isn't it?
 I wore my paper hat all the way home. I like it. It feels nice on my head.

1 comment:

jon said...

Well done, Eva. I think only one of my four hermit crabs lived long enough to transfer shells. You're probably much more responsible than I was.