Saturday, March 7, 2009

So soon?

I'm making up for my month-long blog sabbatical with two posts in two days. Today was Free Day at the Denver Art Museum, and if something's free, you're likely to see us there. Ben was home studying, but Grandma & Grandpa came along for the fun. Below you will see the bovine version of Gulliver being dominated by the Lilliputians.

Grandma & Grandpa look very lovely in their Colorado Mormon Chorale duds. We're going to Louisville tonight to listen to them sing.
Grandpa looks very Elizabethan in this outfit. It's too bad we didn't get him to wear the doublet because the plaid shirt just doesn't seem right.
Wild things.
From the pictures, you'd think the Denver Art Museum is nothing but a giant closetful of dress-ups, wouldn't you. 
Well, it is all dress-ups except for this blue fox on the red chair. This exhibit was actually very cool. You can walk through it, and it feels a little like a ride at Disney World if you just imagine that you're riding in a little car instead of walking and that there's a repeating song in the background and that not everything is the same color. Besides that, it's the same.

And for Kate's benefit, I'll elaborate on the last post since I seem to have been in a taciturn mood last night when I posted those pictures. GEARS stands for something like "Graduate Engineering something Research Symposium." The symposium is next week, and Ben is on the committee for it, which means he's had to go to planning meetings and make posters and stuff like that. I was also instrumental to the symposium's success because I taped some paper clips to the back of a piece of cardboard (I hope they put my name in the credits somewhere).

What was the other thing? Oh yeah, the Capitol. I'm not up with my acronyms, but we joined an organization called CCCF, which I believe stands for Colorado Cyberschool Coalition Families (well, that doesn't make sense, but it's something like that), and last week was Cyberschool Day at the Capitol. So we got cool yellow t-shirts and spent several hours at the Capitol listening to legislators and state school board people talk about cyberschools in Colorado. I asked how many cyberschool students there are in Colorado, and the latest count is 11,700. Wow, right? There were about 1500 kids at the Capitol. We went on a tour and walked up to the top of the dome and walked down the many steps to the basement countless times because that's where the public restrooms are. All in all, it was a hefty workout and a good time. They even fed us Chipotle burritos for lunch. We had a picnic in Civic Center Park and then went to the Denver Public Library where Spence and I played chess and the girls picked out random books for the poor librarians to put away when we left. Also, there was some good pigeon and squirrel observation time. Go, cyberschools!

5 comments:

Linda Terry said...

I want to join cyberschool!

Ginger said...

YES! Can I send my kids to your school too???

Ginger said...

ps. Chipotle burritos are my FAVVVORITE!!!!! YUM!!!!

Becky said...

Rachel, I love, love, LOVE the quilty you made for Nora. I think I might keep having kids just for the quilts.
THANK YOU!!!

Rachel Tolman Terry said...

Becky, I'm surprised it got there so quickly. It was fun to make. YOU'RE WELCOME!